1820 artist’s impression of market place
1820 artist's impression of Market Place
This unknown artist’s impression dated 1820 shows the buildings in and around the market place from the south-west corner at the junction with Queen Street.  Although some artistic licence is possible, the structures on view are compatible with the village’s known history.  On the far left is the King’s Head, its sign partly obscuring a range of buildings facing the market place starting with an inn, variously called the Crown and the White Hart, and (in late 20th century) Lovell’s shop.  On the right of that is a large gabled house, cleared in the mid 19th century to make way for the school.  On the market place itself there is what could be an open-air forge.  Nearer are the stocks in front of the market cross with a whipping post as its central pillar.  The cross had been rebuilt further back from its original site in 1715, and displayed important carvings of the 1490s taken from a vanished merchant’s house.  The carvings present today are modern reproductions, the originals being on display in the church.   Behind the market cross is a two-storied shop with an awning and oriel window, more buildings are extending out of view to the right. Picture lent by Paul Rutledge who also provided the commentary.  His description is provided in greater detail in Landscapes and Artefacts: Studies in East Anglian Archaeology Presented to Andrew Rogerson, edited by Steven Ashley and Adrian Marsden (Oxford 2014).
New Buckenham Archive
Can you identify people or dates, or add a photo?
Home